Friday, January 22, 2010

Papa

My dad, papa, is in the hospital. Last Friday at 3 am he got up and couldn't breathe. They called an ambulance and he was taken to the ER. Well, within a few hours he was in Critical Care. Stephen, Ellie, and I went to Nashville to see him Friday night and on Saturday the doctors said that he was improving so we went back to Birmingham. I was able to talk to him on Saturday and spent several hours in the room with him. Sunday night he had a bad night and by Monday morning he was on a ventilator. Ellie and I came back up on Tuesday morning and I have been here since. The doctors aren't really sure how he got this sick but they do believe that it is pneumonia. Papa has been on a ventilator all week and a couple of days ago they added a feeding tube. He has no idea that I am here or anyone else for that matter. The doctor said that when they take him off the vent he won't remember any of this. This has been a really hard week for all of us and I just pray that he gets well soon. Ellie and I are going to have to go back home tomorrow and I was hoping he would be awake by then but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've been trying to help my step mom out with the house and errands. We go and sit in the waiting room with her when she's there. Papa is only allowed to have visitors at certain times and they are pretty strict about it. It's so hard knowing that he is up there by himself (even though he doesn't know it). Also, children under 10 are not allowed in the CCU so I've only been able to see him for a few minutes at a time, as Ellie cries every time I leave her.

Please pray for his recovery; We are all ready for him to come home. Ellie and I will come back up to take care of him when he gets out of the hospital. Rocio (step mom) works every day and I want to be sure he is o.k.

No comments: