Friday, January 28, 2011

Ellie's big girl room

 We are almost completely done with Ellie's big girl room. Last year, early summer maybe, Stephen and I bought Ellie an old wooden bed for her new room. Well it sat in the basement for a good 6 months before we sanded it, primed it, and painted it a very light pink. It is so cute and I love it. It makes me happy to think that every time I look at it I will remember that it is something that Stephen and I did together and I didn't even have to nag him to help ;-). Anyways, before it got set up in her room mom and I had to do some major "renovations". First of all I had put almost all of Ellie's toys in her room along with all her furniture because I figured her room was big enough and it would be good for her to play in there. Wellll, I didn't like it. It always appeared to be a complete disaster and even when it wasn't a disaster it was just crowded. Not to mention, she did NOT like other kids playing with her toys because they were in HER room. So, mom and I took EVERYTHING out of her room, moved all the toys back upstairs and rearranged her furniture. I have never been to great at furniture arrangement so I needed moms help. It looks so nice in there now. Her crib is on one side of the room and her big girl bed on the other. The only "toys" are her baby dolls and her books; quiet toys.

before


after

Close up


Name on wall

Cork Board
About the decor, I painted her room a light/lime greenish color and the trim is chocolate brown. I had also bought all the fabric for her bedding and curtains last year and given the fabric to my step mom to make Ellie's duvet. She finished it for Christmas and it is so nice. It is reversible with two different patters and I love it. She will have it for a very long time. After the duvet was done, I immediately got to work on finishing the curtains. I had to make valance's and add fabric to the bottom of her already pink curtains. After that, I added a green ribbon to tie in the wall color. Next thing on the agenda was the cork board that hangs above her bed and the last thing I did was her name on the wall.
The only thing I have left that I can think of is the bed skirt, which I will get to work on as soon as I finish getting Ellie's old clothes ready for consignment. So, I would say by the end of Feb. her room will be COMPLETELY DONE!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the finished product. Ellie already thinks it's the best room.